Sunday, January 29, 2012

Where to go for Knitting Help?

It never fails.  When you need to ask a knitting question, the one that really stumps you, it is 1:00 am and there isn’t a knitting shop open anywhere!  Where do we turn?  What do we do?  HELP!!!


When I started to put this blog together I thought it would be short and I would reference a few sites that I have found helpful throughout my knitting tenure.  I asked a few of the amazing folks who help me out at the shop and I got an abundance of replies.  Too many for one post!  So let’s begin a short series of places you can turn when we want to learn more.

Long Tail Cast-On
My personal favorite for basic technique videos is www.knittinghelp.com.  The site shows easy to understand videos that can be played over and over again, late into the night.  Whether you are a new knitter or need to learn a particular skill or stitch, this is a “must have” bookmark in your knitting favorite’s folder.   When a new knitter comes into the shop, this is where I frequently turn.  Being a continental knitter, I admit, I need the videos to help teach the English method of knitting.  Both methods of knitting are displayed with each technique given.  There are several methods of cast-ons and bind offs.  With the new cowl frenzy, I have turned to this many times for the Provisional Cast On.  It’s a lifesaver.  And, every time I close a cuff down sock, I turn to the best video on the Kitchener Stitch that I have found.  It gets you saying the mantra of “Knit, purl, purl, knit” over and over again.  Circular knitting is explained in detail with Magic Loop, two circular needles and using DPNs.  The site explores double knitting, intarsia, Fair Isle, button holes, short rows and so much more. 

One of the hardest things for me is how to get stiches to look smooth when doing short rows.  How do you avoid the “purl bump” when picking up the wraps?  So many of our shawl and cowl patterns incorporate short rows.  Short rows are a MUST if you are a full figured woman who wants to make a jacket look like the pattern was written just for you.  (Those necessary bust darts as explained by Jean Frost in Custom Fit Knit Jackets.)  So, where do I turn?  Where Peggie insisted, Cat Bordhi’s tutorial on short rows Part I and Part II.  Peggie recommends you review this tutorial before using short rows for a Top-Down Set-In Sleeve.  The sleeves are picked up from the shoulder and body of the sweater.  Instead of knitting straight down, short rows give your garment a smooth roll from your shoulder to your arm.  Hey, we are not made from geometric squares and rectangles like the pattern graphics may imply.  We have many curves and short rows get us over them.

Chuck and Pam have sent me a plethora of sites where they like to go for more knitting knowledge.  I will continue with these in my next post.  Feel free to share your favorites here or on our Facebook page.  One of the best qualities in knitters is our willingness to share what we love.  Keep the information flowing!
Andrea
The Yarn Club, Inc.
http://www.yarnclubknits.com/
email your favorite help site to andrea@yarnclubknits.com

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea,please keep them coming,Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read several just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to make one of these wonderful informative website.
    ATD Tools 16801 Leonardo Professional Air Dryer Gun Stand

    ReplyDelete